A sim game is, at its most basic definition, a simulation game, made to take on the characteristics of that which it is simulating. Whinny is a horse sim game, meaning the focus of our simulation is on owning, showing, breeding, and training horses, as well as managing a stable! This is done through forums, automated solutions, and member organization.
There is more than one way to play Whinny! You can join and enjoy the game as it is, or you can partake in our RPG-inspired “game within a game”. Story Mode is something anyone can opt in and out of at anytime, without repercussions. In Story Mode, you develop and explore your characters, horses, locations, and stables. More info is found on our forum, visible only to members.
- Be nice to each other and yourself.
- You may only have one account.
- Usernames should be realistic first names only, with proper capitalization and without numbers and symbols.
- Whinny is based on the fictional continent of Omoth. Imagine it as a sort of parallel universe, if you want. More information about the world can be found in the atlas!
- You must board your horses for the first month of your membership. Boarding barns will be visible on the Establishments page.
- If there is anything you want changed about your account or one of your horses, poke an Admin/Alpha! We want you to enjoy Whinny and most things are a very simple fix.
- If you note an alpha that you’d like to leave the game or you haven’t logged into the main site and haven’t posted on the forum in three months, your account will either be frozen or deleted:
- If you are a member in good standing, your horses will be dispersed and the rest of your account will be frozen. If you ever want to come back, you just have to post on the forum! You'll start again with the money and tokens you had and your "joined" date will reset and you'll have the Hobbyist permit. (Dispersed, in this context, means that unbred and unshown horses will be removed from the game and shown and/or bred horses will be sent to Blueridge Rescue.)
- Otherwise, members that never really do anything with their accounts are deleted. No judgement! And you're always welcome to try us again if the urge strikes!
- All players begin with a personal bank account with $50,000.
- You may own (jointly or not) additional bank accounts for any associations and/or businesses you own or co-own.
- Tokens are used to “import” horses to the continent. You can find out more about this in the Horses section below.
- Tokens can be earned: via the lottery (on the forum), by logging into the main site on your birthday, during random events, and through Story Mode.
- Tokens can be sold for $5,000 to Blueridge (on the forum).
- Permits restrict the number of active horses you own.
- Permits should be respected, and those that find themselves with more horses in their care than their permit allows are subject to being fined.
- Each time your permit upgrades, you get 5 new tokens!
- After surviving 30 days of membership, you may open any number of any type of establishments that you would like and can maintain.
- Story Mode activities do not hinder or limit business or stable creation.
- You do not need to be a certain profession to open a certain business.
- You do not need to purchase facilities to open an establishment.
- You may co-own establishments with other members.
- Establishments need an online presence. They can live on a spreadsheet, a website, forum of its own.
- We highly, highly recommend including a disclaimer somewhere on your site.
- Only associations and businesses may have bank accounts.
- Note Maeve or Merri to have your establishment added to the site! Please include the following:
province: Hargrave / Inesh / Ostani / Pinella / Yona
type: association / business / stable
subtype: private, boarding, vet, etc
bank account?: yes / no
- Once your establishment has been added to the game by an Alpha, you may edit its details under Home > Settings.
- All horses age on the 1st of January.
- Horses should not be created with the intention of being an online representation of any famous horse, real or fictional.
- You may spend tokens to import existing horses from other games or create stock from scratch. These horses will all be considered “foundation” horses and will not have recognized pedigrees (but you can name their ancestors if you’d like).
- You can reserve names for your horses in the Name Reservations thread. More details can be found in the thread.
- Horses may be retired at any time. If they are 25 or older, they must be retired. If they are under 25, they may become active again.
- When a member leaves Whinny, their horses are claimed by Blueridge Rescue and will be available for adoption.
- You may lease horses to other members. The horse will remain in your name in the system and will be visible on both your page and the leaser’s page. You will retain the rights to edit the horse.
- You may age a horse you bred that is currently in your possession. Horses that have competed should only ever be made older. We also ask that you be mindful of their parents’ ages.
- Looking to have a real breed added? Post it in the Suggestions thread.
- Members participating in Story Mode have the opportunity to bring their own breed to life in Whinny.
- There are restrictions on how many horses you may own. Please see the Permits section for more information on these permits.
- Personality traits can only be chosen once, and must all be set at the same time. Choose wisely!
- You may "brand" horses that you import and breed while they are in your ownership. To add and edit brands, check Home > Settings.
- There is no gestation period required.
- Please keep years in mind when breeding. Foals shouldn’t be having foals and mares should birth one foal per year.
- You can utilize surrogates but they are also limited to birthing one foal per year.
- Crossbreeding is allowed. The the foal will be "Breed X/Breed Y" by default. If the foal should, realsitically, be one breed or the other, just, note an admin!
- By default, players can only breed their own horses. However, stallion owners can offer breedings to other members.
- Entering events is done in the first two weeks (1st to 14th) of each month.
- Horses may compete in up to two disciplines per month.
- A horse may advance to any level in their primary discipline (that they meet the age requirement for) but they are limited to competing in the first two levels of their secondary discipline. Age requirements can be found in the corresponding discipline's page.
- To select a horse's primary or secondary discipline and/or to advance them, you must go to their page and enter "edit mode".
- Horses may compete in up to six driven/ridden events (not classes) in their discipline(s) per month. If a horse competes in classes of their primary AND secondary disciplines at one event, that event is counted twice for the purposes of this rule.
- Horses may compete in up to three Omoksee events per month.
- Horses may compete in an unlimited amount of In-Hand events per month.
- Points are awarded for all classes: 1st place = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, and 3rd place = 1 point.
- Entries must begin with a horse’s ID number. If showing multiple entries together (for example in Pas de Deux or driving pairs), horse IDs must be separated by a comma. Members may decide how to format their show entries in addition to the base requirements.
- Boarding stables may request that their barn name not be used in entries of their boarders.
- Events are posted 1 month prior to when they will be run.
- Results are run in the third and fourth week (15th to 28th) of each month.
- Results must be run with the game's randomizer after being optimized.
- Show hosts may not restrict entry formats (eg owned by, of, etc).
- Failure to post results on time will result in your hosting privileges being revoked for the following month.